There’s only a few days left until the start of DrupalCon Chicago, and while we’ve already spent a lot of time talking about the sessions, pre-conference training, and other great content that will be on tap, we wanted to take this opportunity to highlight some of the fun social activities that will also be going on at DrupalCon Chicago.
Exhibit Hall Opening Reception
5pm Monday, March 7
Whether you’ve just finished a full day of pre-conference training, or are just getting into town, what better way is there to kick off your DrupalCon experience with free hors d'œuvres and refreshments? Come get an early look at the DrupalCon Exhibit Hall and meet our sponsors during this event. Sponsored by My Planet.
Module Writing Contest
11am Tuesday, March 8
Can you write an awesome Drupal module in just 24 hours? The Module Writing Contest will provide contestants with the opportunity to win fabulous prizes for the best new module to be written on a topic to be announced on the Exhibit Hall Day Stage on the morning of Tuesday, March 8. A panel of guest judges will evaluate the results, with the winners announced on Wednesday, March 9. Sponsored by Tropo.
4:30pm Tuesday, March 8
For the first time, Ignite is coming to DrupalCon! Ignite is a fast-paced, fun, and high-energy activity where speakers have to present twenty auto-advancing slides in only five minutes. In no particular order, the presenters will be:
- Hello, Drupal? Building Drupal sites that make and receive phone calls - Leo Burd MIT Center for Future Civic Media
- A Shot In The Arm - Greg Dunlap of NodeOne
- 0 to 1M+ in 24hrs: The Queensland Flood Response - Ryan Cross of CrossFunctional
- The short history of the barcode - Scott Falconer of JAGTAG
- Drupal Faster with Eclipse - Rich Yumul of Sage Tree Solutions
- Using WYSIWYG Editors in a Microsoft Word World - Thomas MacLean of NorthPoint Solutions LLC.
- Being the best at giving the worst talk ever - Kitt Hodsden
- Driving the user experience of Drupal via Drupal Gardens - Jeff Noyes of Acquia
- Low Footprint UI - Shai Ben-Yehuda of ArtwareSoft
And while you’re in the Exhibit Hall for the Opening Reception, Module Writing Contest, Ignite talks and other great Day Stage content, don’t forget to check these ongoing attractions:
Drupal books, shirts, and other goodies will be available for purchase at the Drupal Store located in the Exhibit Hall. proceeds will benefit the Drupal Assocation.
The Drupal Arcade is located in the Exhibit Hall, and features a variety of video and arcade games, pinball, and more. Whether you’re looking to meet friends or just hang out between sessions, the Drupal Arcade is the place to be! Sponsored by Rackspace.
There will also be a plethora of after-hours activities every night of the conference. In addition to the opening night party at the Field Museum on Tuesday, there’s also Wednesday night’s “Geek to Chic” fashion show being thrown by Lullabot, and Drupal Trivia Night on Thursday. Plus, Birds of a Feather and Coder rooms will be open late, enabling you to keep DrupalCon going well into the night!